CPAN Modules - Extra Debugging v. Extra Dependencies

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Dec 28 20:33:10 GMT 2007

On Wed, Dec 26, 2007 at 09:50:14AM +0000, Nicholas Clark wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 10:56:21PM -0800, Jonathan Lloyd wrote:
> > But optionally, I can include some terrific debugging with:
> >    - XML::Handler::YAWriter
> >    - XML::Parser::PerlSAX
> Can you have the best of both worlds by making the extra debugging
> conditional on the modules being loaded?

And offer the user the option to install them along with your module by
asking him in Makefile.PL whether to do so:

my $extras = prompt("Install XML::Handler::YAWriter and XML::Parser::PerlSAX for
great debugging justice? [Y/n]", "Y");

WriteMakefile(
  PREREQ_PM => {
    ($extras =~ /^y/i) ? (
        map { $_ => 0 } qw(XML::Handler::YAWriter XML::Parser::PerlSAX)
    ) : ()
);

Please stop rolling your Jargon Dice and explain the problem
you are having to me in plain English, using small words.
  -- John Hardin, in the Monastery