CPAN Modules - Extra Debugging v. Extra Dependencies

Nicholas Clark nick at
Wed Dec 26 09:50:14 GMT 2007

On Tue, Dec 25, 2007 at 10:56:21PM -0800, Jonathan Lloyd wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am in the process of preparing my first module for CPAN, and I have a
> hypothetic question for everyone:  Would you rather download a module with a
> *few *extra dependencies in exchange for some improved debugging?  Or would
> you rather have fewer dependencies with less debugging?

> But optionally, I can include some terrific debugging with:
>    - XML::Handler::YAWriter
>    - XML::Parser::PerlSAX

Can you have the best of both worlds by making the extra debugging
conditional on the modules being loaded? I'm assuming that in the non-error
(normal) case the debugging is never even generated.

Nicholas Clark