Speed limit signs

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Thu Jan 3 16:42:20 GMT 2008

On Wed, Dec 12, 2007 at 12:58:06AM +0000, Joel Bernstein wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 03:34:23PM +0000, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> > Edmund von der Burg wrote:
> > >The ideal tech solution would be for the little sat navs everyone now
> > >seems to have to compare your speed to the speed limit and make little
> > >tutting noises if you're going a little too fast, through to full
> > >panic gibbering when doing 90 past a school.
> >
> > Mine does that. Garmin Nuvi 310.
>
> Does it work abroad? e.g. does it tut at >130kph on french motorways,
> and not at all on unrestricted autobahn?

Mine does. Well, I don't know about France, because I haven't been there
since I've got a savnav, but it does show speed limits in Germany and
Austria.

But there are two caveats:
  1) It doesn't know the speed limits of all roads. Not showing a speed
     limit doesn't mean there's no speed limit, it could also be it doesn't
     know the speed limit (most of the time it doesn't know the speed limit,
     its for city/town streets).
  2) Speed limits change.

It's pretty accurate though, it often changes right after passing a speed
limit sign signalling a change. And it even knows about short stretches
with a different speed than the rest of the road.

Abigail