Speed limit signs (was: Computing power analogies)

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Thu Jan 3 16:51:19 GMT 2008

On Sun, Dec 16, 2007 at 08:38:20PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 03:13:04PM +0000, Edmund von der Burg wrote:
>
> > The ideal tech solution would be for the little sat navs everyone now
> > seems to have to compare your speed to the speed limit and make little
> > tutting noises if you're going a little too fast, through to full
> > panic gibbering when doing 90 past a school.
>
> Mine does at least show me my current speed and the speed limit, but the
> text is too damned small to read.  It also shows the limit (at a much
> more readable size) on the moving map when I'm approaching a camera.
> I'd probably turn a constant audible warning off for being too annoying.

I can read the current speed and the speed limit on mine, but even if I
couldn't, not all is lost. If I drive more than 4km/h over the limit, both
the speed and the speed limit turn from white to red, and if I drive more
than 10km/h over the limit, it starts flashing. So, even if you couldn't
read the letters, you'd still know whether you drive too fast. Unless you
can't see the difference between white and red, or flashing and not flashing.
In which case, you shouldn't drive.

And it's smart enough that if you go to an area with a lower speed limit,
and your speed is dropping, it won't turn red despite going faster than
4km/h.

Abigail