Anti-cat device

virtualsue virtuallysue at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 01:32:32 GMT 2008

Struan Donald wrote:
> * at 03/01 14:46 -0800 Randy J. Ray said:
>> Free oxygen (i.e., that part not bonded to dihydrogen) will gradually vacate
>> the premises. In addition, particulates (dust, dander, etc.) will also settle
>> on the surface. The fountain runs the water through a filter, as well as
>> causing aeration. I'm not a chemist, but I have noticed that the little
>> hairballs are much better about drinking it than still water that would be
>> refreshed daily. And they've quit climbing into the toilet, which is an added
>> bonus...
>
> I think that's more evolution than oxygen content. Running water is
> more likely to be fresh and free of algae and other such things than
> standing water so there's an inbuilt preference for it.
>
> That said when the water is running out of taps it mostly seems to
> confuse my cats.

Because anecdotes are always meaningful :) how about another one.
My cat and dog have fairly ready access to natural type water sources
(springs/streams and a river) but they love to drink from skanky
puddles, cruddy old buckets, a livestock water trough (usually contains
some algae, leaves, bits of wool), etc. The cat for some reason also
persists in drinking water from the dog's personal indoor supply, truly
laughing in the face of danger (the dog once gave said cat a rather
painful bite during a misunderstanding involving his food bowl).  I
suppose an indoor animal might appreciate a water feature, though.