Lack of Perl articles on programming.reddit.com

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Wed Jan 16 14:26:02 GMT 2008

Peter Hickman wrote:
 > Mm. Your BTW is telling, do we really want to waste our time trying to
 > promote Perl to the Diggnation who are, quite frankly, a bunch of jerks.

No, that would indeed be a waste of time.  But most of the real jerks tend to
hang out on the main reddit page or other sub-reddits.  programming.reddit.com
is by no means "clean" but there is a good cross-section of people from
many different languages (particularly from the functional programming
community).  I think the cross-pollination of ideas between them is very
healthy.  I just think we need to spread some more Perl pollen.

 > Perhaps we could spend our time more profitably trying to get Perl
 > articles on Artima.

I don't know Artima, but from first glance it looks very Java/Enterprise.
We might not be too welcome there.

 > There might be better places to promote Perl to than Digg (or Reddit

Digg is a lost cause IMHO and has been for quite some time.  There's still
some hope for Reddit.  Not much admittedly.

My favourite programming site of the moment is http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/
The focus is on programming language research/design, with a particular bent
on FP.  It's very grown up compared to Digg/Reddit, but quite possibly not as
much fun :-)