Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Jan 25 12:45:40 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:30:19PM +0000, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
[...]
> You are presuming that Perl6 is version 6 of that thing that Perl5 is
> version 5 of. It isn't. (Though I will admit given the name it's not an
> unreasonable first impression).

My biggest question about Perl6 is not about this or that language feature
or syntax, why it is *called* Perl6?

Given that it's basically a language that is strongly inspired by Perl but
incompatible with it, it seems a bit much to imply it is just a new release.
If this new language can be called Perl6, could PHP have been called Perl5?

Just rename Parrot to Parrot Virtual Machine, Perl6 to Parrot, and a whole
load of tedious flamewars retreading the same tired old arguments will go
away.