Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Mark Overmeer mark at overmeer.net
Fri Jan 25 13:15:54 GMT 2008

* Jonathan Rockway (jon at jrock.us) [080125 12:55]:
> Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> writes:
>
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:30:19PM +0000, Paul LeoNerd Evans wrote:
> > [...]
> >> You are presuming that Perl6 is version 6 of that thing that Perl5 is
> >> version 5 of. It isn't. (Though I will admit given the name it's not an
> >> unreasonable first impression).
> >
> > My biggest question about Perl6 is not about this or that language feature
> > or syntax, why it is *called* Perl6?
>
> Because Perl is Larry's project, and 6 is the next available version
> number?

Perl6 is called '6', because the original intention was to make a final
minor cleanup of Perl5.  And then the community had far to many bright
ideas (http://dev.perl.org/perl6/rfc/), which provoked Larry into more
changes than he had hoped for.

The call for a different name has come up regularly, but what's in a
name?  At least, the (ab)use of an well known name attracks interest.
--
Regards,

               MarkOv

       Mark at Overmeer.net                          solutions at overmeer.net