Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

Jonathan Rockway jon at
Fri Jan 25 18:03:24 GMT 2008

Matt Sergeant <msergeant at> writes:

> On 25-Jan-08, at 7:26 AM, Mark Overmeer wrote:
>> You can run both on Parrot, and this way use the new language to
>> extend your old code (with some limitations)
> Can we stop saying this lie, and say: "You will be able to run both
> on Parrot", or perhaps the more realistic: "You might be able to run
> both on Parrot some day".

I don't have a copy of parrot compiled right now, but I do have Pugs,
and v5 inside v6 works fine:

  pugs> { use v5; my @foo = (1,2); $foo[0] }
  pugs> my @foo = (1,2); @foo[0]
  pugs> my @foo = (1,2); $foo[0]
  Internal error while running expression:
      Unexpected "["
      expecting "::"
      Variable "$foo" requires predeclaration or explicit package name
      at <interactive> line 1, column 22

Jonathan Rockway