Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

jesse jesse at
Fri Jan 25 18:14:49 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 12:54:29PM -0500, Matt Sergeant wrote:
> On 25-Jan-08, at 7:26 AM, Mark Overmeer wrote:
> >You can run both on Parrot, and this way use the new language to
> >extend your old code (with some limitations)
> Can we stop saying this lie, and say: "You will be able to run both
> on Parrot", or perhaps the more realistic: "You might be able to run
> both on Parrot some day".

How about "Once Perl 6 begins to be an appealing platform to run
production code in, an enterprising hacker will, no doubt, figure out
way to run Perl 6 code from within a Perl 5 runtime and vice-versa"?

While nobody would claim that Pugs is currently in a position to be used
for production code, it was at one time. And, somewhat unsurprisingly,
it sprouted just such an ability. IIRC, it started out as a desire to
have the DBI. That worked fine.  And then through that, it went even a
bit nuttier:

So. I'm pretty sure that once Perl 6 on Parrot gets there, we'll see
something workable.  But it ain't there yet.

Sorry. couldn't resist beating the dead ponie.