Most Perl 6 will look like Perl 5

jesse jesse at fsck.com
Mon Jan 28 15:53:35 GMT 2008

On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 03:37:11PM +0000, Matt S Trout wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:14:49PM -0500, jesse wrote:
> > While nobody would claim that Pugs is currently in a position to be used
> > for production code, it was at one time.
>
> So what was the one usable perl6 runtime now isn't?
>
> I think that merits a little more explanation lest even more of the waverers
> run screaming into the hills[0].

Sure. Pugs was in development. It didn't yet implement all of the Perl
6 specification.  Pugs is currently...not seeing a lot of development.
It hasn't been kept up to date with spec changes nor has it been improved
for a while.   In the meantime, the Perl 6 on Parrot implementation
(Rakudo Perl) and kp6 (Perl 6 in Perl 6) have both seen significant
development and improvement.

If you (the reader, not mst in specific) are upset about the state of
Pugs and want your money back, I'd be delighted to offer you a far more
valuable item in lieu of your $0/EUR0/GBP0.  Shoot me a note and I'll
set you up with a Pugs commit bit.

Jesse
P6PM