Traits, r

John Costello cos at indeterminate.net
Fri Feb 8 19:11:55 GMT 2008

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008, Greg McCarroll wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 08, 2008 at 12:28:21PM +0000, David Cantrell wrote:
> >
> > Pronouncing it as "is a" works well when you're explaining OO to
> > newbies in terms of how physical objects
>
> This is why everyone should learn OO via MUD programming, sure it'll
> consume their lives for a bit and their sleep patterns will be fucked
> up, but its worth it (sort of). There is nothing like seeing the abuses
> of objects to turn them into other things (Scripted boss monster ->
> tour guide) to spark the imagination. I suppose 2nd life might be a poor
> mans substitute but i'm hesitant, too new fangled for me.

I sort of agree, since my first exposure to OO was through MUD programming
(LPC).  It's fairly simple, even if it does teach bad C habits.  I'm glad
I'm not the only one to have done this.

Listening to a talk on ISA and OO is a bit rough, even if it is given by
chromatic (which it was, and he conducted a very interesting talk).

Perl Training Australia (www.perltraining.com.au) uses cards, coins, and
chess pieces as examples, going on similar lines to MUD programming.
Their training docs are useful even without the associated scripts.  They
are associated with Damien Conway somehow.