WTF? (why no alternate implemenations?)

Greg McCarroll greg at
Mon Mar 10 14:27:35 GMT 2008

On Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 01:48:45PM +0000, Dirk Koopman wrote:
> And it is now 2008. Estimated time of R.T.M?

Just to add some facts in here, it's not a magnitude of difference from the commercially
developed Java (and it's not that bad an assumption that full time employees have more time
to work on a language). I believe it was kicked off in a meeting in Aspen in 1991 (no idea
about coffee cup damage) and only released, in a form that we wouldn't recognize now, in 1995.

Although I'm still bitter about printing off the alpha manual of Java on a pay per page
univ. printing service only to discover that most of the pages were 'Intentionally Left Blank'
or 'To Be Documented'.

Curse those Java weenies!