Celebrate the Decline and Fall of the U.S. Empire at YAPC::NA::2008

Mark Keating mdk at shadowcatsystems.co.uk
Thu Mar 13 12:48:06 GMT 2008

To be absolutely fair the only people who refer to it as British English
are not from Britain.

Also it isn't a divergence it is an evolution, we cannot diverge from
our own language.

American/Pidgin/Australian Englishes etc and eta al are the 'divergent'
forms by this definition, as for their hegenomy that's a hugely
different argument.

But English has always been a slut of a language, mostly Germanic with
some Latin rules, a host of stolen words from French (beef, rendevouz,
entrepaneur etc.) and the casual nature to absorb what it cannot simulate.

I love it.

But it doesn't belong to anyone. And comparitively it is closer to 13th
Century Flemish (but there again we always did have more history ;p )

Also there are many great American Linguists who could argue this for
you, see Labov or Chomsky for example. You guys are generally lovely,
your 'Prezident'(1) is a Pillock ;)

1. Stop putting Zs in our words or we'll get our own back

--
Mark Keating BA (Hons)
Managing Director

Shadowcat Systems Limited