How to copy data off an old IDE disk asmith9983 at
Wed Mar 26 21:10:44 GMT 2008

Another idea would be to get an external USB drive case from somewhere like
Maplin. Maybe buy two and along with a large  new high capacity drive to copy
your old drive onto.  Even if your old drive has an IDE problem, isolating it
along a USB cable will help. You can copy the raw data from the old drive
using "dd".   Ubuntu will see the USB drives as /dev/sda & /dev/sdb if you
have two.  This route is not going to cost you much.