Random Perl ... rant

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Wed Apr 2 15:35:27 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 01:54:43PM +0100, Andy Wardley wrote:

> However, I maintain that there are lots of irrational people like me in the
> world, and if you're designing a product for popular consumption then you
> have
> to take peoples' subjective opinions into account. Whitespace indenting is
> the
> single thing that really puts me off the language. There are plenty of
> others
> things that annoy me, but the whitespace issue is the real show stopper as
> far
> as I'm concerned. Rational or not, I'm out (apart from a little dabbling).

I haven't played with Python for a while, but its whitespace rules never
bothered me. I never continued with Python, having learned Perl only a
few years earlier, and Python was giving me little Perl didn't give me.
I've always wondering whether I'd be a Python programmer now, had I stumbled
upon Python before I stumbled upon Perl.

But while Python's whitespace rules never bothered me, Perl6's whitespace
rules bother me enough to not even consider ever programming in said language.
For me, the most important tool to write cleanly looking code is the humble
space. Take away the ability to sprinkle it around tokens, and code will look
ugly.

Abigail