Random Perl ... rant

Paul Makepeace paulm at paulm.com
Wed Apr 2 17:11:57 BST 2008

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 1:54 PM, Andy Wardley <abw at wardley.org> wrote:

> The other 10% of my dislike comes from the fact that it makes auto-generation
> of code (say, to translate a template to native Python code) a real pain in
> the compiler. Sure, most people don't ever have to worry about that kind of
> thing, but I see it as an indicator of a certain fragility in whitespace
> dependant languages.

How about just directly generating compiled python bytecode? Perl is
encumbered with that being particularly difficult, but it isn't in
many other languages, python being one of them.
http://www.network-theory.co.uk/docs/pytut/CompiledPythonfiles.html

FWIW, I didn't like whitespace much to begin with but, and this
experience seems to be largely shared by those I've spoken to, it's a
complete non-issue after a month or so. I'd suggest, if anyone's about
to try, put the irrationality to one side, grit your teeth, and
re-assess in a month...