Random Perl ... rant

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 09:44:01 BST 2008

On 2 Apr 2008, at 11:56 pm, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On 4/2/08, Peter Edwards <peter at dragonstaff.com> wrote:
>
>>  <shrug> at least I can sleep at night knowing I'm not using .NET
>
> Erm, .NET's runtime, development environment, and choice of languages
> is so far beyond where Perl is it's difficult to know where to start.
>
> Perhaps you're just trolling.

I like perl a lot, but I make more "direct" money through C#. It's a
good language with a good framework and a good IDE, on a rubbish OS.
If I compare perl, it's also a good language, with a good framework
(slightly better because it's driven by the community), on good and
bad OS's - but the killer blow is in the IDE's (for me).

If you want to draw in programmers from other languages then you
can't show them a command line debugger and colorised emacs and
expect converts. I want intellisense, and I want a GUI for debugging,
and so do a lot of other people *because it makes us more productive
and our lives easier*, which is the whole point. Isn't it?

I'm still looking forward to Perl6 though. Looks interesting, but I
can see it being in the same league as Lisp for number of users.

Iain