Random Perl ... rant

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:25:27 BST 2008

On 03/04/2008, Zbigniew Lukasiak <zzbbyy at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hope that is not against the etiquette  here to post links to my
>  PerlMonks posts (it looks like very on topic in this thread):
>
>  Have you heard about recent startups using Perl?
>  http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=676335 - Looks like not many new
>  companies use Perl

I'm contracting for a perl startup, founded by somebody who
successfully built and sold a previous perl startup. They don't come
to london.pm, let alone some pointless meeting.

I think the thing here is that, those who can do, those who can't talk
about it a lot - which explains a lot of the noise about Rails ;)

>  What can bring the excitement back to Perl?
>  http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=676072

I find the challenges I solve with perl to be more exciting than the
language, have done for a long time. Obviously that doesn't work
nicely with reddit-digg-slashdot-think of "must have Rad New Features,
and be drop shadow logos on the website, and be on the cover of
magazines".

>  It is the ecosystem - http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=674541 -
>  Frankly I would not choose Perl (as language) over Python or Ruby.

I would and do. I don't find python and ruby as readable, but then I
started coding per for a living straight out of uni.

>  but nothing can beat CPAN.  And it is not that easy to copy - because
>  it is not only technology but also the organisations, the culture
>  around it.

Yup.

A.

--