Random Perl ... rant

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 10:34:04 BST 2008

On 03/04/2008, Iain Barnett <iainspeed at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2 Apr 2008, at 11:56 pm, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> > Erm, .NET's runtime, development environment, and choice of languages
> > is so far beyond where Perl is it's difficult to know where to start.
> >
> > Perhaps you're just trolling.
> >

>  I like perl a lot, but I make more "direct" money through C#. It's a good
> language with a good framework and a good IDE, on a rubbish OS. If I compare
> perl, it's also a good language, with a good framework (slightly better
> because it's driven by the community), on good and bad OS's - but the killer
> blow is in the IDE's (for me).

Used Komodo ?

When I last tried using both Visual Studio and Komodo (for vb/vbscript
and perl respectively), I didn't find Visual Studio much help.

It's probably a long way forward since the days of ASP4, but then so
is Komodo - or if you like that kind of thing Eclipse.

Komodo-editor is free, as is perly-sense for emacs, but then I don't
particularly like either - I don't want arg completion, I want the
docs for the API I'm using displayed in the next window or another
monitor.

>  If you want to draw in programmers from other languages then you can't show
> them a command line debugger and colorised emacs and expect converts. I want
> intellisense, and I want a GUI for debugging, and so do a lot of other
> people *because it makes us more productive and our lives easier*, which is
> the whole point. Isn't it?

Does it really make you more productive? - named params in perl means
you don't need to rememeber the order of args, about 0.0001% of my
time is thinking about things that intellisense would do for me.
Graphical Debuggers are busy and usually annoying/restrictive.

Given the choice between paying for a flashy IDE and shelling out for
another monitor (or two) and a decent video card, it's a no-brainer.

I really don't think I could work productively on windows, even with a
"really clever" IDE. I want several screens, everything organised into
workspaces/desktops, full screen tabbed terminals, good documentation,
and a whiteboard and plenty of paper.

A.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk