Random Perl ... rant

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Thu Apr 3 11:28:45 BST 2008

>> While for Java or C# a good GUI can make the difference, I think
>> that for dynamic and succint languages like Perl it only depends
>> on personal style: I feel productive with a shell, Vim, and some
>> ad hoc macros.
>
> Komodo-editor is free, as is perly-sense for emacs, but then I don't
> particularly like either - I don't want arg completion, I want the
> docs for the API I'm using displayed in the next window or another
> monitor.
>
>> s/Vim/Xemacs and I agree completely.

Are you all having a laugh? Or perhaps you're watching WarGames on
beta max while listening to Meat Is Murder?

Visual Studio s*** all over Komodo (the free one, don't know about
the paid for one) and EPIC for Eclipse. Really. I'm not here to sell
you a copy, but if you'd used it you'd realise it was light years
ahead (and I don't mean back in the mists of time or for a week
before you gave up). M$ may not do a lot of things well, but dotNet
and Visual Studio are very very good. Perhaps Eclipse is really good
for Java, too, I don't use Java. I get the feeling it would be better
than EPIC, but EPIC needs more support (hint hint).

I like Vim, I don't use emacs but it's alright. I like using
terminals and white boards, and having extra screens (you can have
extra screens in Windoze too!;). I'm happy for you all to work in
your favoured way, as long as you don't break the trunk :)

But you'll be killing off the language by clinging to old practices.
Either you want to make it accessible to others, or you don't care
because you've got unix and vi/emacs, and a copy of Programming Perl
on your bookshelf.

Iain