Better Perl

Peter Hickman peter.hickman at semantico.com
Fri Apr 4 11:45:55 BST 2008

Jonathan Stowe wrote:
> personally I'd rather
> they'd all fuck off and do their stuff in PHP or whatever is fashionable
> today and let the rest of us get on with writing code for businesses
> that know what they are doing.

With an attitude like that is it any wonder we can't find any new Perl
programmers and are becoming a Java shop. Keep it up and we will have a
common bond with tcl programmers and can spend all our time complaining
about how our great language is being ignored. There are less people
turning to Perl to do cool things, being a Perl programmer is becoming
synonymous with being a maintenance programmer and being viewed as
grumpy beardy wierdo's with a chip on their shoulder.

The 'rest of us' is a small group and getting smaller.

Newer languages certainly make a lot more sense to the new comer, consider

for =$*IN -> $guess {
}

versus

for $guess in <IN> {
 }

The first is a complete bf, are we honestly saying that we can't come up
with something better than that? This is all just adding chrome to a bad
design in the hope that the bling will distract people from the design
issues.

Some people just love unnecessary complexity, they used to be called
Java programmers but I have a feeling that Perl programmers are looking
for a way in.

--
Peter Hickman.

Semantico, Lees House, 21-23 Dyke Road, Brighton BN1 3FE
t: 01273 358223
f: 01273 723232
e: peter.hickman at semantico.com
w: www.semantico.com