Random Perl ... rant

Aaron Trevena aaron.trevena at gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 13:28:33 BST 2008

On 04/04/2008, Iain Barnett <iainspeed at gmail.com> wrote:
>  So, what was the point of *your* email? Was it to highlight the reasons
> perl is going to eat itself? (through a stuck up community clinging onto the
> notion that their language of choice is the best while everyone else
> overtakes it)

That's just the thing - it's not the best at everything and nobody is
claiming it is, however many of the things/frameworks/etc touted as
being better in Ruby, Python et al, simply aren't that important or
are beaten/matched by what we have in perl.

What's more I don't see any overtaking being done outside of hypebole
in oreilly book charts and TIOBE - hardly meaningful.

How about jobs - 0 python jobs within a 200 mile radius of me, 0 ruby
jobs within 100 miles, same applies for local user groups. I know a
large of proportion of the local Python developers, he spends most of
his time writing PHP for a living.

>  Well done, the PR nightmare that is the perl community continues ;)

I'd still choose the Perl community over the PHP or Rails ones thanks.

--
http://www.aarontrevena.co.uk