Random Perl ... rant

Jacqui Caren Jacqui.caren at ntlworld.com
Fri Apr 4 16:03:09 BST 2008

Peter Corlett wrote:
> What I mainly see are tinpot numeeja firms that have heard of LAMP and
> want to pay tuppence a week for their staff.

We develop billing and reporting systems for telcos. It pays much
better than LAMP work and tends to higher quality specs.
We do odd jobs such as large scale database transformation work,
re-designing a van tracking system etc.

Almost no internet web work - but some intranet web apps such as
switch management and provisioning systems, allowing a phone operator
to cut off, redirect or renable a 'line' in real time.

We gave up on NM some time ago. Having done it I have heard

  "I *know* its what I asked for but it isn't what I want!"

or similar once too often. I, sure they never review the prototypes
and only open thier eyes when it goes live...

OTOH I have heard of the dosh VC++ and java coders get for the
congestion charge project and I wish I could afford 4K lenses and 13K
cameras like a CC developer I know :-(

Jacqui