Scripted installs

Chris Devers cdevers at pobox.com
Thu Apr 17 00:59:09 BST 2008

On Apr 16, 2008, at 7:05 PM, "Paul Makepeace" <paulm at paulm.com> wrote:

> What's the state of the art in terms of repeatably installing Perl
> software? ...
>
> The VM in question is a Debian 'box' at Bytemark so I'm not at all
> averse to something involving .deb.

Then you want dh-make-perl, which can bundle up CPAN modules, do all
the wholesome Debian dependency resolving magic, etc. Build it just
once, then use the package from then on.

But for that matter, I'd be a little surprised if there isn't a
Catalyst package already, if not on the official repositories, then at
least on backports.org. You might be able to get away with a simple
'sudo apt-get install catalyst' and be done automatically from there.

Spending time with Debian very nearly completely weaned me off needing
to ever go to CPAN directly, as most popular modules already are
packaged. Sadly, that doesn't help much on Red Hat variants or Macs...

--
Chris Devers