moving to the UK

Iain Tatch iain.tatch+londonpm at
Fri May 9 16:25:47 BST 2008

2008/5/9 Martin A. Brooks <martin at>:

> Any permanent resident of an EU member state can simply turn up to the UK to
> live and, optionally, work.  To work, they'll need to apply for an NI number
> and they'll be put on emergency tax until they're allocated a tax code.

Close, but no cigar-- that only applies to people who are (were) residents of
"the fifteen" (countries which were EU members before 2004-05-01).  If
your citizenship is that of one of the ten countries that joined the
EU on that date (Poland, Czech rep et al) you are supposed to register
with the Home Office before getting a job.  If your citizenship is
that of Romania or Bulgaria, you generally have little better chance
of working here than a non-EU citizen does.

Yours in pedanticness


More information about the mailing list