MySQL Performance Example Was: Seriously, WTF?

Tomas Doran bobtfish at bobtfish.net
Mon May 12 01:40:01 BST 2008

On 11 May 2008, at 20:33, Iain Barnett wrote:
> If you're using trivial queries and don't like joins then you don't
> need a database. Hence, mySQL.
>
> Sorry, just couldn't resist that (But there may be a grain of truth
> in there :)

I've seen more than enough systems that take this argument to it's
logical conclusion, and use (sets of) tab separated value files way
past when they should have been using a database.

I'd choose un-fucking a nasty database mess to a unfucking the same
'we made our own database' mess, any day of the week. The toolset for
un-fucking (and faking the old stuff for legacy code) in a database
has a better UI - 'CREATE VIEW' as opposed to hacking code in
whatever 'accessing the tab separated value files in "the right way"'
cruft^Wabstraction layer (as building your own query abstraction
layer goes hand in hand with the TSV files)...

Cheers
Tom