Mobile phone broadband suggestions

Barbie barbie at missbarbell.co.uk
Fri May 16 10:12:20 BST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 10:06:55AM +0100, Barbie wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 09:01:50AM +0100, Edmund von der Burg wrote:
> >
> > Half the time she'll be in Wales where there is no broadband, so will
> > need to connect over her mobile phone. Most likely this will be over
> > GPRS as our valley doesn't have 3G yet. We don't have O2 or Orange
> > reception either, but all the others are at full strength courtesy of
> > our neighbor's diversification into phone mast planting.
> >
> > What should she get so that she has a decent handset to access email
> > and basic web on, and can also connect with her Apple laptop to the
> > net? I doubt she'll be going over a gig a month, any big downloading
> > will be done in London.
>
> Seeing as you say the others are at full strength, I'm assuming that
> includes Vodafone. If that is the case you may want to investigate the
> new Vodafone Broadband USB stick [1]. JJ from Birmingham.pm (and
> Vodafone until the end of June) has one and it is highly recommended. He
> also has a Mac :)
>
> [1]
> http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=template04&pageID=MB_0001

Slight correction, it's the USB Modem JJ has not the USB Modem Stick.
Although the Stick has a higher broadband speed, the more basic USB
Modem is still respectable. Price plans are listed here [2]

[2]
http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/mobile-broadband/usb-modem-stick/?WT_ref=INT-PSHOP-130208-MBUSBMdm-USBStikBuy

Barbie.
--