Javascript book recommendation needed

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Sat May 17 15:51:08 BST 2008

On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:40:39PM +0100, Paul Mison wrote:
> 2008/5/16 Mehmet Suzen <mehmet.suzen at physics.org>:
> > Couple of weeks ago, my brother has suggested me this :
> > http://extjs.com/
> > looks promising...anyone tried this before?
> Well, firstly, given a discussion on learning the JavaScript language,
> I'd hardly recommend a library. That's like someone asking how to
> learn Perl and being shown Moose. (This analogy may be flawed.)

Indeed.

As the crazy fool who wants to learn JS (more accurately *re* learn it,
as I did quite a lot of JS a decade ago) I'm really looking for an
equivalent of the Llama book.  I want to take baby steps first and only
later start using libraries like that.  Not that I have much interest in
webby stuff anyway, which is what most JS libraries seem to concentrate
on.  The specific problem I'm trying to solve will, admittedly, end up
with the results displayed in a web page, but the display part of it is
trivial.  To get something worth displaying I need loops and data
structures and functions and stuff.

Thankfully, from the reviews I've looked at the Definitive Guide looks
like a good candidate.

     I'm in retox