Javascript book recommendation needed

Mehmet Suzen mehmet.suzen at physics.org
Sat May 17 22:48:50 BST 2008

On Sat, May 17, 2008 at 4:51 PM, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 11:40:39PM +0100, Paul Mison wrote:
>> 2008/5/16 Mehmet Suzen <mehmet.suzen at physics.org>:
>> > Couple of weeks ago, my brother has suggested me this :
>> > http://extjs.com/
>> > looks promising...anyone tried this before?
>> Well, firstly, given a discussion on learning the JavaScript language,
>> I'd hardly recommend a library. That's like someone asking how to
>> learn Perl and being shown Moose. (This analogy may be flawed.)
>
> Indeed.
>
> As the crazy fool who wants to learn JS (more accurately *re* learn it,
> as I did quite a lot of JS a decade ago) I'm really looking for an
> equivalent of the Llama book.  I want to take baby steps first and only
> later start using libraries like that.  Not that I have much interest in
> webby stuff anyway, which is what most JS libraries seem to concentrate
> on.  The specific problem I'm trying to solve will, admittedly, end up
> with the results displayed in a web page, but the display part of it is
> trivial.  To get something worth displaying I need loops and data
> structures and functions and stuff.
>
> Thankfully, from the reviews I've looked at the Definitive Guide looks
> like a good candidate.
>
> --
> David Cantrell | London Perl Mongers Deputy Chief Heretic
>
>     I'm in retox

I guess there is no unique way to learn a language. For example, lately I am
trying to learn LISP (who knows why!) so there are so many libraries
I can practice on. Writing something from scratch is pretty nice and revealing,
but learning curve and level of interest depends on the reward you received,
in this case 'solving something'.  So that reason,  being little pragmatic and
using libraries, even for a novice would help. Anyway, how many of you
has already written a CPAN module before using one?

M. Suzen