Paul Makepeace paulm at
Fri Jul 18 00:05:54 BST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 11:30 PM, Sagar R. Shah <sagsshah at> wrote:
> 2008/7/17 James Laver <james.laver at>:
>> On 17/7/08 06:29, "Sagar R. Shah" <sagsshah at> wrote:
>>> If u're only processing a small set of data that'd probably be the way to go,
>> Please try to use correct English. Perfection is not required, but "u're" is
>> unacceptable to most people.
> What's your problem James? Define "most"? Have you actually carried
> out a statistically significant survey? Anecdotally I would _guess_
> there are probably more english typing texters in this country than
> there are emailers and I would think a large proportion of the younger
> generation of those texters would find the abbreviation perfectly
> acceptable.

In any given culture there are norms and accepted standards. It so
happens that within this culture ( mailing list) those kinds
of abbreviations, for better or worse, are frowned upon.

While your statistical guess may very well be right, it doesn't hold
(at all) for this audience.

> Let's now agree to disagree and let the list
> return to the topic of Perl.

Say, you ain't from around here, are ya, boy? :-)

(Which is to say, you might find this useful: