Getting my TODO list down

Zbigniew Lukasiak zzbbyy at
Thu Sep 4 11:29:11 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 11:58 AM, Dave Hodgkinson <davehodg at> wrote:
> On 4 Sep 2008, at 09:29, James Laver wrote:
>> We need more people in the community and making Perl work better with
>> shared hosting is one way to do that - it puts us on a level playing
>> field with PHP.
> The wrong answer. Reverse proxy on the front then individual mod_perl
> enabled servers on the back with a very limited MaxClients on each.
> *never* have an internet-facing app server. and that includes PHP as
> well as Java and Cold Fusion.
> You should have been at my talk at the LPW a couple of years ago :)

I must be missing something - but it looks for me that you are talking
here about scaling the solution up - making it working for huge loads.
 The problem PHP solved is scaling *down* - that is making it easy to
deploy your application and what follows making it also cheap.  This
means you can start your website on shoestring and only if it is
sucessful you'll need to pay for the additional load it generates (but
then you'll have the money for that).  In short it enables
experimentation with all possible web applications.  It avoids the
up-front costs - just like the Agile techniques in programming.

Zbigniew Lukasiak