isp

Dominic Thoreau dominic.thoreau at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 15 10:58:35 BST 2008

2008/9/15 Andy Armstrong <andy at hexten.net>:
> On 15 Sep 2008, at 10:24, w.clements at talk21.com wrote:
>>
>> I seek your help. I am unhappy with my current isp. I bought the
>> webspace years back when I new little of Perl. (I am still not that
>> good a coder - but I try...)
>>
>> Does anyone know of a good isp that has most Perl modules installed and
>> is reliable and does not make changes too frequently without bothering
>> to tell anyone? If so I'd value the advice greatly.
>

> If it's for a non-profit site I can give you some web space. Lots of Perl
> modules installed and I'm usually prepared to add more on request.
>
> Failing that I'd look for a deal on VM based hosting - then you can have
> complete control of your server.

My $poe are using a fair number of hosted boxes with a company in
California, CARI.net . Prices seem very reasonable, and you can pretty
much choose the configuration you want - although Fedora Core 9,
Pentium 4, 1Gb Ram, 160Gb HDD seems to have the nicest price point at
US$70/month iirc.

They *won't* update the box's software, as they'll email you the root
password. You can then change that, and install/manage the software
yourself.

While I haven't spent a lot of time looking at the market, I have
worked on boxes from a few other suppliers, these seem nicely done.
Responsive customer service etc.
--
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced"