24x7 on-call rates

Robert Shiels void at se71.org
Thu Oct 2 12:38:31 BST 2008

Raphael Mankin wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-10-02 at 10:57 +0100, Peter Haworth wrote:
>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 18:36:20 +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
>
>> Offer them +20% for doing a night shift and see how that goes down.
>>> (Wait, 'goes down' maybe not the ideal phrase...)
>
> We got paid 0.5 days for each week on call for this sort of thing.
> Operations dealt with conditions like disk full, some data errors and
> machine failures. We had to deal with software faults - in our own
> software.

I'm not being paid anything for just being on-call at the moment.
I can charge a mimimum of 1 hour for any call I get though.
If I am not at home, and need to go home to fix something, I charge 2 hours.
I am not on call overnight, just weekend days 6am-6pm, one weekend in 4.

We have a 'best effort' system, which means that if I'm out cycling,
which is common on a Sunday morning, I can easily tell the caller that I
won't be able to look at their problem for 2 or 3 hours.

I hate being on call, and had to to it or lose this contract, but it
could be a lot worse.

ISTR at a previous job, which really was 24*7, I got £100 a week, and
£30 a call on top. I always got 10-15 calls in a week (on-call 1 week in
3), so made a bit of money, but hated it so much I left the company.

/R