Perl's lack of 'in' keyword

Iain Barnett iainspeed at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 21:57:38 BST 2008

On 7 Oct 2008, at 6:45 pm, Andy Armstrong wrote:

> On 7 Oct 2008, at 18:28, Iain Barnett wrote:
>>> And (meta) who cares about people who think that Perl reads like
>>> line noise. Should the language bend to the preferences of those
>>> who dislike it?
>>
>> With that attitude it's a wonder why anyone picks languages other
>> than perl.
>

> It wasn't meant to be unfriendly although I can see that it could
> be read that way.

Ok, no problem. I read it that way because the default monger
response to any criticism of perl is the old Wimbledon chant, "No one
likes us but we don't care".

On 7 Oct 2008, at 7:25 pm, Jonathan Stowe wrote:

> If I had a quid...

Helpfully, this proves my point. If I had a quid for every time
somebody stuck their head in the sand about perl's shortcomings I'd
have twice as much money as Mr Stowe would have made. At least.

On 7 Oct 2008, at 6:45 pm, Andy Armstrong wrote:
>  It does seem to me that someone saying "I don't like Perl - it
> reads like line noise" is /not/ a reason to change the language so
> it less resembles line noise to that person. Presumably people who
> like Perl also like - or at least are accustomed to - how it looks.

I agree with both your points, but that also doesn't invalidate the
point that perl might benefit from less "line noisy" syntax at times,
just as ~~ doesn't necessarily obviate the need for an "in" operator.
The smart match does look good though.

Iain