Perl's lack of 'in' keyword

Dominic Thoreau dominic.thoreau at googlemail.com
Wed Oct 8 15:51:18 BST 2008

2008/10/8 Nigel Rantor <wiggly at wiggly.org>:

> I like Perl, but I complain about it all the time.

As I'm only known to London.pm as an email contributor atm, I'll
delurk a little more by giving out more information.

Since I wasn't born in this *hemisphere*, I've come to realize some
things about the British character.

Two people meet in the street, and the usual pleasantries ensue:
- How are you?
- Oh, I can't complain...

This is the world's biggest lie. People will complain about
everything. The price of $commodity. The traffic. The weather (it's
too hot/too cold/too changing/too consistent).
If there was nothing else to complain about, they'd complain that
things were too nice.

People can always complain - this is not a big problem. It's the
things they aren't complaining about that are really bothering them.

And to reply to another message in this one:
> "If you want COBOL you know where to find it"

No. I don't know where to find it. And I'm interested in having it
stay that way. I studied it briefly. Just enough exposure to the
language to cause extreme aversion. You cannot afford to make write
that. We're talking mega-oligarch rates here.
--
No train here, but still:
The sign says: "Ready to Leave"