Perl's lack of 'in' keyword

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Wed Oct 8 15:55:17 BST 2008

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 03:36:18PM +0100, Paul Makepeace wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:22 PM, Nigel Metheringham
> <nigel.metheringham at dev.intechnology.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > On 8 Oct 2008, at 14:51, Nigel Rantor <wiggly at wiggly.org> wrote:
> >
> >> If anyone comes back and tell me that they think ~~ scans nicely in
> >> english
> >

> > Considering your email address I would have thought you would be very
> > much in favour of ~~ and have a good way of pronouncing it....
>
> OMG ROFL!
>
> If this operator doesn't have a well-established way of being
> pronounced I think it ought to have this one!

Note that the ~~ secret operator (the one that does "scalar" and works
with Perls older than 5.10, not "smart-match") is called "inchworm".

Example usage:

    perl -le'print~~localtime'

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 There is no greater magic than knowing exactly who and what you are.
                                                 (Moral from Groo #2 (Image))