Unlimited?

Denny london.pm at metamathics.org
Fri Oct 31 12:29:30 GMT 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 12:09 +0000, Paul Orrock wrote:
> The ASA stand seems to be that provided the user is never stopped or
> charged for downloading more, then an "unlimited" claim can be made
> provided you link to a FUP.

Yarp:
http://www.asa.org.uk/asa/focus/background_briefings/Telephone+and+broadband+packages.htm

	Something can be described as "unlimited" even if a fair-use
	policy exists. However, the existence of the fair-use policy
	should be stated in the ad, and the policy should only be
	invoked to prevent misuse of the service."

Is downloading lots of data "mis-use" of a data connection?  I thought
that was the intended use  :)

I've never fallen foul of a fair use policy personally, and I don't mind
paying for the large amount of data (or texts, or whatever) I tend to
use - I just wish it was easy to shop for a high-end package by looking
at the main figures for them, instead of having to dig around in the
small print for each company's personal definition of the word
'unlimited'.