LPW Slides: Badger Power

Andy Wardley abw at wardley.org
Mon Dec 1 20:24:27 GMT 2008

The slides for my Badger Power talk are here, complete with extended
footnotes.

   http://badgerpower.com/talks/lpw2008/start.html

This culminates in a bit a rambling rant about how hard it is to write
generic software, why OO is fundamentally broken, and why coder reuse is
more important than code reuse.

   http://badgerpower.com/talks/lpw2008/slide58.html

I only mention this because a) it ties in nicely with something Ovid blogged
about a few days ago (coincidentally on the same day I gave the talk, although
I missed it until this morning, which was probably a good thing for the people
in the audience).  He also mentions Schwern's skimmable code talk of which I'm
a fanboy.

   http://use.perl.org/~Ovid/journal/37975

And b) it's an issue that cropped up in several different talks at LPW,
including something that Matt Trout said (reported via another talk) along
the lines of "This isn't fucking rocket science... so why is it so hard to
write reusable software?".

I don't claim to have any answers, btw.  Nor is Badger the panacea for any|all
of OO's ills.  Far from it.  But I do think skimmable/skimpy code is a Good
Thing.  Pictures of cute animals seems to help, too.

And finally, thanks to everyone for making LPW a most enjoyable day.