Perl is dead

Avleen Vig avleen at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 13:40:41 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 12:59 PM, Robin Berjon <robin at berjon.com> wrote:
> On Dec 4, 2008, at 13:33 , Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:
>>
>> How do we reach people outside the community after having spent so much
>> time talking to ourselves?
>
> This is something that I don't have the technical know-how to accomplish,
> but a way of using Perl from within PHP, I'm guessing as a library
> extension, would provide a strong deployment vector into a large and
> talkative community that is often blissfully ignorant that there even is
> anything else. It would be a neat way to show cool tricks, and the power of
> CPAN. Doug MacEachern had suggested he was working on something like that
> ages ago, but I don't know if it went anywhere.

We could just ask people what the don't like about perl, or what
they'd like to see change / improve.

They'll probably rattle off a list of things which they like about
other languages which they don't like in perl, but that's not
necessarily a bad thing. It might show us the strengths in other
languages that we lack?