Perl is dead

James Laver james.laver at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 15:14:13 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> I think sometimes I'd rather work with code that is just plain bad
> because it's written by self-taught PHP-heads, than code that is a
> crawling horror because it's written by terribly clever C or perl
> people.
>
> This week I am mostly hating the source code for wget.

At least the experts know what they're doing to begin with whereas the
I'm-a-designer-who-knows-php idiots act as if they're experts and
royally bugger it up. A recent project included an ORM system
half-ported from a .NET one that was left with a large number of bugs
in, not to mention massive security holes.

At least in perl people standardise on DBI with placeholders (or
something built on top of it) because it's lazier to just go with the
flow (and thus at least they're saved from SQL injection).

--James