Perl is dead

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Thu Dec 4 15:53:51 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 04, 2008 at 03:14:13PM +0000, James Laver wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 3:06 PM, David Cantrell <david at cantrell.org.uk> wrote:
> > I think sometimes I'd rather work with code that is just plain bad
> > because it's written by self-taught PHP-heads, than code that is a
> > crawling horror because it's written by terribly clever C or perl
> > people.
> > This week I am mostly hating the source code for wget.
> At least the experts know what they're doing to begin with

You'd think so.  Maybe they do.  But they don't necessarily know *why*
they're doing it, or think about the poor bastard who has to work with
their code and fix it later.

And anyway, I said terribly clever people, not experts.

> I'm-a-designer-who-knows-php idiots

They are NOT idiots.  They are, perhaps, ignorant, but there's nothing
wrong with being ignorant.

> At least in perl people standardise on DBI with placeholders (or
> something built on top of it) because it's lazier to just go with the
> flow (and thus at least they're saved from SQL injection).

Ah-hahahahahahahaha

  I remember when computers were frustrating because they did
  exactly what you told them to.  That seems kinda quaint now.
      -- JD Baldwin, in the Monastery