*.perl.org facelift

Kent Fredric kentfredric at gmail.com
Sat Dec 6 15:14:20 GMT 2008

On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 8:09 AM, Andy Wardley <abw at wardley.org> wrote:
> I put a few ideas together for a *.perl.org facelift.
>
>  http://wardley.org/use.perl.org/test.html
>
> At the moment it's just a stick in the ground.  It's probably the
> wrong kind of stick and not in the right place, but it's a start.

I am hardly qualified to criticize, I think the initial impact looks
good, but I discussed with a few people and a few functional
questions/criticisms arose.

== What's with the minimise icons in all the corners? ==

What purpose do you plan to use them for?
In the given context, they appeared to some to be useless elements,
who wants to minimise blog comments?
I argued you could be using them as hooks for extra menu data, but I
couldn't think of any valid menus that would be relevant to the
elements you have them on.

== Boxes In Boxes ==

To my eye, there appears to be a little bit of style overkill, surplus
non-functional visual divisions.
I've never been a big fan of the 'fat' borders, always trended towards
minimalism.
Its just some of it still feels a little cluttered, but I can't
quantify why I get that feeling.

== High Complexity ==

The menu bar is one of those things that often irks me, of course,
entirely subjective, but I thought I'd give my 2¢

    FAQ | About | Submit Story | Older Stories | Topics | Polls |
Journals | Authors | New Modules | Preferences | Logout

Is an awful lot of dissimilar items globbed together in a seemingly
random order.

User-Oriented Things, should Imo, be clustered together seperately.

   Submit Story | Preferences | Logout

Content Related things, should likewise, be clustered together, ( and
be more prominent )

   Older Stories | New Modules | Topics | Polls | Journals

Site Meta-Info, which is low traffic, should likewise be clustered
together in a less prominent place. ( But still easy to find )

   FAQ | About | Authors

--
Kent

perl -e  "print substr( \"edrgmaM  SPA NOcomil.ic\\@tfrken\", \$_ * 3,