Mobile broadband

Martin Robertson mansionhouseprojects at
Fri Dec 19 12:48:56 GMT 2008

2008/12/19 Robert Shiels <robert at>:
> Denny wrote:
>> You wouldn't normally be using a mobile broadband dongle to access
>> mobile websites.  They're generally aimed at people browsing directly
>> from mobile devices, rather than people using a mobile connection with a
>> full-fat device.
> I'm probably going to have to do some on-call work, and will likely get a
> dongle thing so that I can connect from my laptop to the office VPN when I'm
> out and about. Is this javascript thing something that might screw up my
> chances of a working connection?
> I too seriously wonder about the crapness of our internet - I only get 1.5
> megabit download at my house with the wired broadband, and that's not likely
> to change anytime soon. Can I have wimax or whatever now please?

here, here - speaking for the heelans of Scottieland; wouldnt it be nice if
the local authority offered wifi as part of your council tax bills & had a nice
fat aerial running from the local exchange?!

any views on when 'wireless interwebs' will become considered
'core' infrastructure alongside refuse/roads/libraries?

cheers, mart.