Have at it

Kieren Diment diment at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 12:29:30 GMT 2009

On 27/01/2009, at 11:12 PM, Piers Cawley wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 5:26 PM, Aaron Trevena <aaron.trevena at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>> 2009/1/26 Denny <london.pm at metamathics.org>:
>>> Personally, I assumed he was referring to the strong 'use Moose'
>>> push
>>> which EPO seems to be on - would it be safe to say that Moose is a
>>> modern approach to OO?  I've not used it personally, and am looking
>>> forward to the tech meet around the subject.
>>
>> I think MOP (meta object protocol) is a modern approach to OO, it's
>> found in Perl 6, Badger, Mouse (and mouse? ferret ? I lose track..)
>
> MOP is modern? The Art of The MetaObject Protocol was published in
> 1991. This is obviously some new usage of the word 'modern' with which
> I was hitherto unfamiliar.
>
> It's modern in perl terms, obviously, but it's not exactly new. It's
> just been ignored by almost everyone who wasn't a lisp hacker for
> years.

I think the modernists were at their peak in the 1920s, and the post-
modernists some time after the beat poets in the 1960s.  The way that
compter science works as an academic discipline I guess that MOP might
get taught as a core computer science subject in universities in 2020
or so?

So you can take me down to the back paddock now ...