Have at it

Philippe Bruhat (BooK) philippe.bruhat at free.fr
Tue Jan 27 21:27:34 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:48:34AM -0800, Ovid wrote:

> That being said, much OO code is very poorly written.
>
> But it's not really the fault of the programmers.  I don't see a hell of
> a lot of stuff out there explain *good* OO practice in Perl.

Where do we learn about that? Are there some OO tutorials planned at the
next YAPC?

Every time I write a new CPAN module, I first have to decide on how I'm
going to do OO this time. Most of my modules do it in a different way,
using hashes, home-made inside-out object, using AUTOLOAD for accessors
or sticking closure in the symbol table, etc. I'm still reluctant to
add one of the OO frameworks to my list of dependencies, and anyway,
I'd first have to choose one among the myriad that seem to exist.

Really, if someone plans to talk for 3 hours about good OO in Perl, in
one of the next conferences I attend[1], I'll be sitting in the front row.

[1] French Perl Workshop, Paris, June 12-13 and YAPC::Europe, Lisbon,
    August 3-5. And if you want to give such a tutorial, I'm sure we
    can find a way to sponsor your coming to the French Perl Workshop...

--
 Philippe Bruhat (BooK)

 Pretend money always leads to genuine grief.