Have at it

Abigail abigail at abigail.be
Wed Jan 28 09:13:39 GMT 2009

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:27:34PM +0100, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:48:34AM -0800, Ovid wrote:
> >
> > That being said, much OO code is very poorly written.
> >
> > But it's not really the fault of the programmers.  I don't see a hell of
> > a lot of stuff out there explain *good* OO practice in Perl.
> >

> Where do we learn about that? Are there some OO tutorials planned at the
> next YAPC?
>
> Every time I write a new CPAN module, I first have to decide on how I'm
> going to do OO this time. Most of my modules do it in a different way,
> using hashes, home-made inside-out object, using AUTOLOAD for accessors
> or sticking closure in the symbol table, etc. I'm still reluctant to
> add one of the OO frameworks to my list of dependencies, and anyway,
> I'd first have to choose one among the myriad that seem to exist.
>
> Really, if someone plans to talk for 3 hours about good OO in Perl, in
> one of the next conferences I attend[1], I'll be sitting in the front row.

Well, "Good OO" isn't a useful concept, as everyone seems to have a
different opinion on what good OO is. Hence the zillions of ways of
implementing objects in Perl.

As for OO talks, I think the last time I went to a conference or workshop
that didn't have at least on Moose talk was probably before Moose existed.
As for myself, I've talked about Inside Out Objects on many occasions,
including YAPC::Europe and the employer both you and I work for.

> [1] French Perl Workshop, Paris, June 12-13 and YAPC::Europe, Lisbon,
>     August 3-5. And if you want to give such a tutorial, I'm sure we
>     can find a way to sponsor your coming to the French Perl Workshop...

Find a sponsor to bring Damian over. He has a given long talks about OO
in the past. (But I guess you didn't go to those conferences).

Abigail