My New Job (Was: Social Thurs 8 Jan 2009)

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Fri Jan 30 14:22:14 GMT 2009

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 02:14:39PM +0000, Aaron Crane wrote:

> Unlike the UK rail network, where the default position seems to be to
> avoid building new lines entirely, and to repair the existing ones
> only when spurred to by horrific accidents.  Instead, money we *could*
> use for such things is spent on things like shareholder profits, and
> repainting rolling stock every few years when the franchises rotate
> owners.
>
> Still beats flying, though.

You forgot to mention the government attempting to prevent the
ECONOCLASM by giving money to car companies instead of spending the
money on useful infrastructure which will benefit everyone, such as a
TGV line from St Pancras to Birmingham, Manchester, Leeds, and
Scotlandshire.

--
David Cantrell | Official London Perl Mongers Bad Influence

  The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use.  If it
  fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
  make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
     -- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916