Best practice for releasing Perl modules to staging and live

David Cantrell david at cantrell.org.uk
Mon May 18 17:38:38 BST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 05:13:40PM +0100, Richard Huxton wrote:
> David Cantrell wrote:
> >Suggestions for a Helpful Thing to add to http://deps.cpantesters.org
> >gratefully accepted.
> Ah - that's the sort of thing I was looking for. Between
> deps.cpantesters.org and matrix.cpantesters.org I should be able to
> figure out what the situation is.
>
> I'm still can't see specific version numbers though. For example, If I
> search for "MooseX::Declare" on deps.cpantesters.org I can see that item
> 20 is "MooseX::Types::Moose". What isn't obvious (to me, anyway) is what
> version of MooseX::Types::Moose was tested successfully with any
> particular version of MooseX::Declare.

Unfortunately that information isn't recorded at the moment, or at
least, not in any consistent machine-readable form.  I'm not sure if it
will be in the shiny new CPAN-testers "metabase" when that is finished.

What I was really getting at was ideas for how to query the dependency
tree for specific module versions, and how to show module versions in
the user interface without making it either:
  * too "busy" (it's fairly clean now and I want it to stay that way);
  * too cryptic (which it is now, what with the single letter links);
  * too wide (sideways scrolling is the work of the devil);

then of course I just have to solve the small problem of making it not
run like a stunned slug in treacle :-)

    Erudite is when you make a classical allusion to a
    feather.  Kinky is when you use the whole chicken.