Best practice for releasing Perl modules to staging and live

Minty mintywalker at gmail.com
Tue May 19 14:00:03 BST 2009

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Dave Cross <dave at dave.org.uk> wrote:
> There will, of course, be a (hopefully far smaller) set of modules that
> aren't already packaged for your distribution. Once you've built those
> packages, you could consider sharing them with the rest of the world.

Although once you start playing with Moose, Catalyst (and hit the
repeated .. "ahh, you're not using the latest version ... upgrade!")
it's suprisingly easy to hit something that isn't in the latest Ubuntu
dists.  CPAN::Mini::Webserver also has a bucket load of deps that
Ubuntu jaunty can't meet out of the box.

In any event, ubuntu intrepid/jaunty should be able to get
CPAN::Mini::Webserver installed from my apt repo, but ...

CAVEAT: this exists for my use, and I do not claim it's safe, right or
good.  I believe it's all those things, but if it breaks your system,
you get to keep all the pieces, etc.  I can't honestly recommend you
use this, but hey ...

# /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://apt.sysmonblog.co.uk/ubuntu/ jaunty main
deb-src http://apt.sysmonblog.co.uk/ubuntu/ jaunty main
deb http://apt.sysmonblog.co.uk/ubuntu/ intrepid main
deb-src http://apt.sysmonblog.co.uk/ubuntu/ intrepid main

You can skip the next two steps if you want - when you try to install
a deb from my apt repo, it'll shout scary "insecure" warnings at you,
which frankly, is probably entirely sensible.

# get a copy of (if you'd like it via some other secure channel, email me)
http://sysmonblog.co.uk/misc/public_key.txt

# Tell apt you trust my apt repo (you are a fool ... no really)
sudo apt-key add apt.sysmonblog.co.uk_public.key

sudo aptitude update
sudo aptitude install libcpan-mini-webserver-perl

minicpan_webserver

And wait a few seconds while it indexes stuff, then follow it's
instructions wrt the url.  For me, it's http://localhost:8989/